Wildlife photography is a type of photography, dealing with documenting various forms of wildlife in their natural habitat. Wildlife photographers are individuals who are experienced and conscious about taking photographs of wild animals.
A wildlife photographer not only need photography skills but also may require field craft skills. Knowledge of animal behavior is needed to handle some animals. A successful photographer must concentrate on every aspect of his craft and handle it professionally.
The following golden rules provide a strong foundation to become an outstanding wildlife photographer:
- Learn Basic Photography – You need to be a photographer before becoming a wildlife photographer. You have to learn to use a camera and understand the different types of equipment. You are not clicking still objects but the animals that can move.
- Assisting a pro – You have to look for an expert like Norman Asch and assist him. This will give you on-job training and allow you to know the art better. You can also attend a wildlife photography workshop, to find the right match for your goals and expectations.
- Find photographic Environments – Being a wildlife photographer, you have to look for a spot that looks photogenic and naturally beautiful. You can even start from your rooftop and click birds flying above.
- Kick off With Safe Species – It is advisable to start with common species. As a fresher, it is highly risky to capture wild species to begin your career.
- Be calm – Wild creatures will not pose, so generally, you have to wait for days to get a perfect shot.
Apart from all these, you need to learn, do research and practice to become a great wildlife photographer and the type of camera you use also matters. Therefore, taking wildlife photos is fun and can be very easy to do if you follow the above instructions.